Roasted Beetroots and Horseradish In-The Hole
This is a fun vegetarian take on the traditional version which uses sausages! A great alternative to Sunday lunch with the deep, red beetroots being the centre of the dish and the golden batter rising around, seasoned with some punchy horseradish cream and fresh thyme.
For the Yorkshire Batter:
165g plain flour
2 whole eggs
2 egg whits
1 tsp. salt
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together
- Leave for 1/2 hour before using
- Reserve until needed
For the beetroots:
1 bunch thyme
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsps. sea salt
- Wash the beetroots , but leave the skins on
- Place the beetroots and all the other ingredients in a bowl and mix together
- Place a large piece of foil on the worktop and place all the ingredients on to it
- Fold the foil over, sealing the edges to make an envelope
- Place in the oven at 180 oC until tender
- Leave to cool and then peel off the skin using a sharp knife.
100g creme fraiche plus as much hot horseradish as you like!
1 tbsp. oil per dish
- You can either make 1 large dish that can be shared or you can bake it in individual dishes
- Brush the dish/es with olive oil
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes to warm through
- Pour the batter into the dish
- Place the beetroots on top, and then put dots of the horseradish cream and lastly the thyme
- Bake at 180 oC for 12 (small dish) or 25 mins (large dish).